Sunday, September 21, 2014

He Cares for Me

Yesterday, a beautiful, nay almost perfect, Fall morning, I left the house on the bicycle quite late, yet in time to get to the post office before the noon locking of the door.

Exercising more caution than is my wont, when I came to the highway I stopped and planted both feet whilst waiting for the traffic to pass.  How unlike me.  I usually ride along the berm, hoping for an opening through which I might dart.  Six blocks along I came to a red light, and again I stopped. What is this strange behavior?  Right next to me was the rear end of a 53 foot semitrailer,  and as we both started through on the signal, I had a flashback to my teen years, a time in which I very likely would have grasped the back of the truck to allow it to tow me through town.  Sometimes, on Nevada Avenue, back in the day, about the time the driver shifted into sixth and the speed approached forty, I would let go, and let him go.

And thus it was that as I pedalled through the intersection and the truck pulled away from me that I thought "How many times did the Lord or His guardian emissary protect me when I was too stupid to watch out for myself?"

I know you will be incredulous, but as I thought about that I realized that the times were doubtless numerous; then I wondered how often He protected me in situations that I don't know about, some of which may not have been the result of my own stupidity. I'll never know, but I've no doubt the number of times is staggering.

And why, you might think, would vanilla believe that the Lord cares for him and protects him even in his folly?

This, for starters.  God sent Moses to lead His people out of bondage, and notwithstanding their repeated disobedience, and folly, and murmurings, God protected them and watched over them.  It is no stretch for me to believe that God who cares for and protects a couple million "stiffnecked" people in that day cares for this hardhead today.


He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.  He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;  Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.  Psalm 91: 1 - 6

Further reading: Deuteronomy 32
"Moses on Mt. Nebo" by Nehemiah Persoff

4 comments:

Vee said...

I just have to say that it's no wonder your mother spent all of her waking hours worrying about you during your teen years.

vanilla said...

Vee, of course my mother worried. She was genetically predisposed to worry. She couldn't help herself.

Sharkbytes said...

Yup... I've come away from a few events shaking and thanking God for protecting me from my stupidity - the worst probably a red light in Indiana at night that I didn't see (go figure) at a crossing of Rt 30, and I was nearly hit by a semi. And, like you, there are all the ones I don't know about.

vanilla said...

Shark, we are blessed. Thank God for his tender mercies.